Tuesday, April 08, 2008

I'll trade you an Edward for a strange bearded man.

I'll get right to the point. Last summer I dared Steve to read Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series AND Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series. He agreed, and in exchange I had to promise to read just the first book in his favorite series, George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. "Cover to cover, Kenna" - that's what he told me, sure that I'd be hooked on the series after that.

Well, Steve has long read all 7 books from my challenge to him, and I have now officially read 7 pages of my part of the deal. I'm having a hard time getting in to the whole fantasy thing. I read three pages and then turned to Steve in bed, and this happened:

"What's this Night's Watch they're talking about, I don't even understand what's going on."

"Just be patient, it will explain it all."

"When?"

"In book three."

"Steve, this book is 924 pages. How am I supposed to put all this together?"

"Easy. When you read book three and it explains it, you'll remember 'oh they talked about that in book 1.' "

"Ask me what I had for breakfast"

"What did you have for breakfast?"

"I. DON'T. REMEMBER."

I consider myself pretty bright. I know I can get through this book if I change my attitude about it. Just please. Is there anyone out there who likes purses, shoes, pedicures and PINK who has read this crazy guy's books, and if so, can you tell me they're wonderful?

Check George R. R. Martin out: http://grrm.livejournal.com/


I think I'm going to start posting a picture of myself in every single post.



No comments: