Saturday, January 19, 2008

Honey, have you seen my lipstick?

Just got back from a party our friends were throwing where a bag of liquorice was being passed around. And please don't confuse that with licorice. You can't get away with putting some Twizzlers on a plate and telling your guests it's liquorice. Everyone will know it's just licorice. I never knew gourmet liquorice existed until a few weeks ago when Steve and I bought some at a local chocolatier for around $36 an ounce. The stuff was amazing. And by amazing I mean uh.may.zing.

For a straight week and a half after bringing home our tiny, precious bag of candy, we acted like four year olds. We kept blaming each other for trying steal a piece without the other one knowing. We had to make sure we each got equal amounts. If I got one piece, Steve got one piece and visa-versa, and they had to be approximately the same size. On a daily basis, one could hear shouting coming from our kitchen, "YOU stole a piece of liquorice, DIDN'T YOU?" Candy so good it put us at odds.

So tonight at the party, some liquorice similar to our cherry-flavored gold was being passed around. There were two little girls there, about six, and I "psssssted" them over to me as I slowly and mysteriously reached my hand into the bag and said, "You two have got to try this stuff. Here's one for you... and one for you." Then I waited and watched for their faces to light up. And they did, kind of. Although can I really expect a kid to appreciate fine candy when they have glow in the dark jelly worms at their disposal? I say to the one girl, "It's goooood, isn't it?" as I nod my head in approval. And she closes her eyes and says, "mmmmmm yeeeah. It tastes like lipstick!"

No comments: