Saturday, December 22, 2007

This is not a meme. Even though it looks exactly like one.

I was tagged by Karlene. Here are the rules:

1. List 12 random things about yourself that have to do with Christmas

2. Please refer to it as a 'hoopla' and not the dreaded 'm'-word.)

3. You have to specifically tag people when you're done. None of this "if you're reading this, consider yourself tagged" stuff is allowed.

4. Please try and do it as quickly as possible. The Christmas season will be over before we know it and whoever started this not-meme would like to get as many people involved as possible.

My 12 things:

1. Every year I plan to get all my shopping done online, and all before the 2nd week of December. I'm very good at getting the easiest 90% of it done around the 10th of December. At this point I'm feeling really good about myself, so I breathe an early sigh of relief. And I keep breathing until Christmas eve when I'm still stuck with the last 10%: the hardest people on my list to buy for. The path to failure is paved with good intentions.

2. My favorite Christmas treats are homemade caramels, Teresa's rice crispy caramel things, and chocolate cake with candy cane frosting.

3. One year for Christmas my brother and I got RBI Baseball on the Nintendo along with these huge 9 inch tall gingerbread men. That Christmas we spent the entire day playing baseball and eating gingerbread. My sisters didn't like the taste of theirs, so I ate three of them in one day. I still remember how gross I felt after eating those guys and it has affected my love for gingerbread ever since.

4. I'm so selfish that when I go Christmas shopping for my mom and sisters it goes something like this: "Ooh! Look at these earrings! One for Meg, one for McKenna." "RAD SHOES! One pair for Mom, one for McKenna" "Oh this lip gloss is perfect. One for Mel, one for Kenna." It's a problem.

5. "Perfume Models" (so they call themselves) bug the holy crap out of me. (Merry Christmas)

6. I love Christmas music. But whoever wrote that stupid Christmas Shoes songs needs to be shot. I can't listen to that song without bawling. And today we heard a new song from that same written-for-the-soul-purpose-of-making-you-feel-miserable genre and Steve and I both were crying. His cry was sweet and quiet. I was full on sobbing.

7. I suck at wrapping presents. It looks really amazing until I get to the side parts where you do the tuck-in thing with the folded-over triangle and that's when it all goes down hill. UGH.

8. After opening presents, my family does a movie theater marathon. We see 3-4 movies right in a row at the theater. It is awesomely exhausting.

9. Although one of our Christmases was celebrated last night, my other family (I have two, see.) celebrates it on the "real" Christmas. That means there's still time left for someone to give me Wentworth Miller. I mean, if he popped out of a box with a big red bow? It would be LEGEN-- wait for it -- .... DARY.

10. By the time Christmas is over I'm so sick of it all I go into hybernation for at least a week. Maybe it's the lights and sugar and stress that make me anxious and depressed all at the same time. I'm so good at faking it the whole way through December, and then when I crawl into bed on the night of the 25th, I end up crying myself to sleep. I wake up the next morning to sunshine and daisies. Except the daisies are really snow and ice. But I pretend they're daisies because that's how they feel in my heart. It's so special.

11. I hate sports. I.HATE.SPORTS. Like, I really don't get it. Neat! - That guy can run fast! Neat! - That guy can ram into someone and make them fall over! Neat! - That girl jumping and screaming is hot! - Neat! Beer! - Neat! Steroids! - Neat! He tore his ACL but it was such an awesome play! - Neat! - SPORTS! (Merry Christmas)

12. I think we should do more for others and less for ourselves during Christmas. Me included, I'm not on a soap box. Christmas should be enjoyed. December should be joyful. It shouldn't be frantically packed with so many parties. We had 9 this year. I missed tonight's (#10) and still have 3 more before we ring in 2008. I think I might just be DONE. Sorry if I don't show up to yours.

No comments: