Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I was a fool to believe

Did you know that Simon Dewey is a Brit? Or at least he has a British accent. Maybe it's a fake. Well anyway, I met him last night (during the same trip to Costco where I was sad to be informed I don't look as young as I thought I did). And he has a British accent.

When I was in media makeup artistry school I was taught that all high-fashion photographers have either a French or English accent. It's part of their photography school curriculum and the French or English depends on what school they went to. Now that I type this all out I realize I'm a fool. Who would believe that? And what sort of fashion photographer actually goes to school anymore anyway? It's so much more elite to be self-taught.

So, that awakening-to-the-truth thing that just happened to me with the fake accents? It's like when you're seven, and you're eavesdropping on an adult conversation in which someone makes a political joke and you take it literally and spend the next 15 years thinking Saddam Hussein's name really ISN'T Saddam, it's just what the Americans nicknamed him because it's "mad-ass" spelled backwards. And then when you're older and wiser Saddam comes back into the picture. Except this time you actually get the joke, and your mind swirls back through 15 whole years in just a matter of seconds, to rectify all those times you thought you were so clever for calling Saddam such a naughty, secret codename.


No comments: