Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Fortunately, unfortunately

Unfortunately, my computer's mother bored fried itself so I spent the entire exhausting day trying a million different fixes that of course didn't work.

Fortunately, I had an appointment at the salon after work. I always feel good with fresh color and a trim.

Unfortunately, I accidentally handed the cashier at the salon my company's credit card instead of my debit card, which means I accidentally stole $85 bucks. How do you explain yourself on that? There's no excuse other than, "I just wasn't thinking."

Fortunately, I looked really hot driving home in the dark.

Unfortunately, I looked down to find my gas light had been on for who knows how long.

Fortunately, I still had 15 minutes before I could pick up the pizza for dinner, so I had time to stop at the gas station.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get my debit card to work in the machine. It took five tries and 15 minutes standing in short sleeves in the freezing cold.

Fortunately, the pizza was still hot when I got there.

Unfortunately, my bank called me before I could even get home to ask if someone had stolen my card because a gas station just charged me $99 four times. Seriously, can anything work right for me today?

Fortunately, they are an awesome bank and refunded the charges immediately.

Unfortunately, I forgot to check my speedometer while driving on that one back road with the speed limit of a one-lane residential street, even though it's very much not one-lane, and very much not residential, and very much should be a 40mph road. I got pulled over.

Fortunately, the officer was really nice.

Unfortunately, he gave me a ticket anyway.

Fortunately, I didn't get hit by the train between my citation spot and my driveway, the pizza was tasty, and I got a good night's sleep because my chihuahua didn't bore his way under the covers to sleep in my bed. (Odd, I don't think there's been one single night he hasn't done that.)

Unfortunately, we woke up to find out that the reason he didn't sleep in our bed was because he slept on the front porch in the snow. All four pounds of him. Shivering. Purple. Delirious. Oops. (Note to future self: when you take the dog out to pee, let him back in)

Fortunately, he didn't die. A few minutes under the covers and he was back to his chipper self again.

Unfortunately, there are many days in my crazy life that follow this familiar pattern of chaos and confusion. Disarray. Cataclysm.

Fortunately, I always wake up the next day to find I am incredibly blessed with family, friends, shelter. And really, what else is there?


No comments: