Friday, November 09, 2007

Editing myself in this post for the sake of keeping this a family-friendly blog

I'm what you call maybe just a little bit paranoid about my son's health. He's been spoon feeding a couple meals per day for about two months, and has now added just about every baby vegetable to his repertoire. But I haven't given him one fruit yet because I don't want him to fall in love with sweets and refuse the vegetables. I was thinking of starting fruits soon, like maybe next week, but this is just one example of how I've chosen to be a little more conservative than some moms. He won't be having soda, candy, icecream, or even a lick of popsicle for quite some time. Like maybe two years old. It's been made quite clear to me by many people that I'm being a little weird about this, but I don't care because I'M THE MOM AND I SAID SO. (That is the first time I've said that in my life if you don't count sassing my mom.)

So we just 30 minutes ago walked in the door from some Friday night shopping and a visit to Red Lobster. We ran into Steve's old high school buddy and his parents. We happened to be sat a table away from them at dinner and three quarters through eating, Steve's old friend's mom came over to take another peek at Carter and asked if she could hold him. Well, of course, so she took him back to her table, which was in perfect eyesight of us. We were kind of chatting between the two tables, when all of a sudden Steve's old friend's dad decided it would be funny to fill a straw full of Coke and empty it into my son's mouth. He. Fed. My. Six. Month. Old. Coke. I instantly made it very clear to him that I wasn't effing laughing at his stupid trick. I was in such shock I couldn't even finish my food. I thought I was going to throw up right there on the table.

I was sure I had made myself abundantly clear to this man, so imagine my surprise when a few minutes later, he started coming at Carter with a straw full of Sprite! This time I yelled, "No. Do. Not." ...and so he backed off, but I swear I'm not making this up, he said to us in the most condescending tone, "What, it's just Sprite!"

Blah, blah, blah, fast forward to when we're finally standing up and walking out of that hell of an uncomfortable situation when he still thinks the mood is light enough to throw in a, "Hey anytime you need a babysitter, just give us a call. You just hand him over to me and don't worry about a thing. Next time I'll give him Budweiser, it has less caffeine."

For the love of everything holy on God's green earth, please validate my anger and tell me I'm not over-reacting about this!

Okay, actually I feel much better. I feel instantly diffused now that I've written a few words about it and am about to post it out into the void. Of course I realize in the grand scheme of things, this little amount of soda won't hurt my boy. But still, I'm just saying... that's just crazy, right?

PS - Once your blood pressure drops back down to normal after reading this horrific nightmare, you should go enter my Treading Water custom bath + body giveaway.

No comments: