Monday, September 01, 2008

Masochism and Snickerdoodles With a Twist

I'm not quite sure what got into me today. I've been on a diet "lifestyle change" for quite a while now and my commitment is still fairly solid. For the most part, I've only been eating fresh fruits and veggies, and plain grilled chicken breast or fish, and man! I've missed cooking!

So today I got a hankerin' to make cookies. Not to eat cookies, to make them. Because I enjoy torturing myself like that.


Snickerdoodles With a Twist:


1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar plus 2 extra tbsp for later
2 eggs
2 1/5 cups flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
4 tbsp finely ground toffee bar (no chocolate) or caramel sprinkles

Preheat oven to 350 farenheit. Blend together the first 3 ingredients. Sift the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Combine flour and egg mixtures. Stick the entire thing in the fridge until it's chilly throughout. Combine 2 tbsp sugar with the cinnamon. Form chilled dough into 1 inch balls, then roll in cinnamon-sugar and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Now for the twist:


Use a fingertip to dip a small hole into the top of each cookie. You don't want to squish it, you just want to leave the smallest dent, to keep the topping from rolling out. Now drop a pinch of your ground up toffee or caramel into each fingerprint.

Bake for 10 minute or until just starting to turn golden.

Then, be a good girl and refrain from even licking a piece of dough, because you made these cookies for the sake of making them, and not so you could enjoy them with everyone else once they were done.

He's already grunting for more and he still has at least 2 bites left on that thing.

No comments: