Wednesday, April 13, 2005

The Everyday Taiwanese Superstar....

It could be you!

As frequent as a convenient store in the states, you will see PartyWorld, Cashbox, or KTV in Taiwan. What's this, you ask? Why, it's where you can go to become the latest Taiwanese Superstar, of course! At least for one evening.

KTV is a way to karaoke with your friends in a private room. You pay by the hour (from what I gather) and sit on a huge leather couch surrounding a table full of food and drinks. In front of you, there's a huge TV playing music videos for you to sing along to in the mic. The microphones add some sort of reverb quality to the sound, so really, everyone sounds like a superstar...even those who don't have a natural singing talent.

KTV is a way of Taiwanese life. All the KTVs in town are booked every night and on weekends, sometimes you need to call weeks in advance to get a room. These people are nuts about KTV... and have no fear whatsoever when it comes to singing their guts out in front of their friends - without alcohol! They fight over the microphone! I was very shy at first (yes me) but they would have nothing of it. I couldn't leave the room without belting a tune or two. After your song is finished they all cheer and say "you sing like angel" to each other and it's on to the next superstar.

The receptionist at the office here (Grace) and I have become great friends over the past two weeks. It all started in the bathroom when she giggled at me being confused at the toilets and then told me I had "cute cheeks like apple". I guess when you have to have someone teach you how to pee, there needn't be any other ice breaker. I hope one day she'll come to the U.S. so I can make her try something freaky, like say... oatmeal.

*Just to clarify, she was referring to the cheeks by my eyes.

No comments: