Monday, November 10, 2008

Are any of my readers shrinks?

***Update*** The cats hate Dino. He is now back home with us. Oh, what to do.

If so, advise me, plz!

After many moons of contemplation, this past Friday I gave my Chihuahua, Dino, to a nice lady with another Chihuahua and 3 cats. She's very much an animal person, and Dino seemed to take to her well. So off they went. I spent the entire weekend missing Dino and wondering (once again) whether I did the right thing. He's such a good little dog, and every reason I had to give him away fell under the category of my own weakness/inability to be a dog owner and be sane at the same time.

It was eating me this afternoon, so I gave Dino's new owner a call to see how things were going. She said, "Well? They're going." Dino and the other chi are in love with each other. But whenever one of her cats comes in the room, Dino goes absolutely ape all over the place. She wants to give it a few more days before making a decision on whether they can get along long-term and if things aren't looking good, I'm making her give him back to me.

So the part where I truly need counseling in order to get rid of my angst and guilt? Is the part where I'm seriously considering keeping him if he comes back to me. I'm picturing this trade-off scene between me and Mother Neurosis: "Hereyago, MN, here's my guilt [plop] AHHH that feels better. Now give me back my insanity." A fair trade?

Don't tell me it's just a dog, because I KNOW. I KNOW IT'S JUST A DOG. Eff.

No comments: