Friday, July 27, 2007

Me as a Disney Character

I recently ran into a dear friend on Facebook that I haven't seen in five or six years. It's been so fun to recall old memories. Drew and I used to sing in choir together and I thought he was the most artistic person I knew. His dearest professional ambition was to work for Walt Disney as an illustrator/animator. I have often wondered if he made it there or not... he certainly had the talent! I'll never forget the sketchbook he carried with him everywhere. It contained (among a gazillion other things) concept art for "Disney's 12 Dancing Princesses", which he someday dreamed of animating for Disney. His inspiration for the 12 princesses were his friends, and I was honored when he drew me as one of them.

Now that we've somewhat reconnected, I have been looking at his online art gallery, which I find overwhelmingly inspiring. His talent has flourished and whenever I open the lappy to take a look, I find myself losing lots of time scrolling through his brilliant drawings. Lo and behold, last night I came across a folder in his gallery called "Disney Concept Art". My eyes fell upon a cartooned depiction of me in my prom dress (I went with Drew's best friend). My hair looks just as I remember that night and after a second of silence upon discovering the drawing, I cheered out loud with my hands in the air.

(I'm on the left. If you click you can see my name scratched into his book. He didn't finish my face in this picture, but still.)

I was so excited to see this last night! What an amazing talent, and the above picture is NOTHING! Drew's out of town and unreachable until March 2008, when he'll be back and ready for Disney to beg for him.

Here's a link to his gallery - Harry Potter fans watch out - I promise he's an even bigger fanatic than you (in fact, I sometimes wonder if he actually thinks he is HP) and he has about 100 or so little HP delights in there to gobble up.

So here's his site: Drew Graham's Gallery
And a few of my favorites are here, here, and here.







No comments: