Thursday, February 23, 2006

And here it is: The top ten love songs playlist

Trust Me (This is Love) - Amanda Marshall. Love allows people to grow stronger during trials if they choose. This song is your cheerleader.

You’re My Home - Billy Joel. “You’re my castle you’re my cabin and my instant pleasure-dome I need you in my house ‘cause you’re my home.”

That’s All – Rod Stewart. This one perfectly illustrates that golden vision of love you have before you actually get married and realize there’s little time for country walks in springtime. But I still get fuzzy when I hear this song and I’m reminded we can still create at least some gold leaf in between work and dishes and laundry and life. I love Nat King Cole’s and Rod Stewart’s equally.

Come To Me - Celine Dion. This song feels like the way my mom gives love – her heart has always been my beacon home.

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - George Michael. Go on and hate me, but I can’t stand the Roberta Flack version of this song. This song should be sung like you eat chocolate: slow enough you can taste every word.

Push - Sarah Mclachlan. Kristen puts it best: “A deeply haunting melody and the truest love song I’ve ever heard.”

Goodbye My Lover - James Blunt. Unbearably sad but core-alteringly romantic. (I’m aware “alteringly” isn’t a word.)

The Very Thought Of You - Nat King Cole. This one could whisk anyone away to a slow dance with their lover. You know that little spot your head rests and you can smell his skin and feel him breathe? Oh no, I sound like Delilah. I just shaved my tongue with a razor blade. There, that should even the tone again. (You’re welcome, Ryan) (You know what Ryan, quit rolling your eyes and just be glad I didn’t include Karen Carpenter, because I was this close to including Karen Carpenter.)

Better Together - Jack Johnson. Jack doesn’t claim he can’t breathe the air without you, he’s not saying there ain’t no sunshine when she’s gone, he’s not saying he was a miserable self-loathing goat before you came around. He’s simply saying we make each other better. Evenly. Not 90% me, 10% you or the other way around.

Everything – Lifehouse. “How can I stand here with you and not be moved by you?”
______________________________________

Just missed the cut:
Home – Michael BublĂ©
You’re Still You – Josh Groban
Stacy’s Mom – Fountains of Wayne
Come What May – Nicole Kidman & Ewan McGregor

No comments: